Scientific Review of Testosterone Replacement in Men
1. Bringing testosterone form low normal to high normal lowers the risk for heart disease by 60%
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. Aug 2002. Vol. 87, No. 8 3632-3639
2. 2 year study of low dose testosterone on libido in men
(Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997)
3. Dihydrotestoerone reduces prostate size
Ann Med 1993 Jun;25(3):235-41
3. Testosterone Improves Sexual Function, Mood, Muscle Strength, and Body Composition Parameters in Hypogonadal Men Improved
a. Sexual function
c. muscle strength, leg > arm
d. Subjects did not exercise
e. Improved lean body mass and fat mass
f. Correlated with serum level of T obtained
Study showed that these benefits were not obtained with testosterone patches (Testosterone patches are too weak for most patients)
5. Testosterone supplementation increased working memory in men
Janowsky J et al. Sex steroids modify working memory J Cogn Neurosci 2000 May;12(3):407-14
6. Testosterone replacement reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease by preventing the production of beta amyloid precursor protein.
Gouras GK et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000 Feb 1;97(3):1202-5
7. Testosterone levels correlates with and testosterone replacement improves cognitive function
Hormones and Behavior 1998; 33(2):85-94.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999 Oct;84(10):3681-5
8. Testosterone replacement is more effective than antidepressants for depression
Am J Psychiatry 157:1884, November 2000
Androl 1992 Jul-Aug;13(4):297-304
9. Low testosterone associated with fatigue and testosterone replacement increases sense of well being
Many patients are able to stop Antidepressants after being treated with testosterone
Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2000 Summer;13(2):93-101
10. The lower the active testosterone level, the higher the risk for heart attack.
Circulation 1999 Apr 6;99(13):1666-70
- Acute anti-ischemic effect of testosterone in men with coronary artery disease.
- Testosterone improves exercise induced ST depression
- Dilates coronary arteries
“Short-term administration of testosterone induces a beneficial effect on exercise induced myocardial ischemia in men with coronary artery disease. This effect may be related to a direct coronary-relaxing effect.”
11. Men with heart disease have significantly lower
- Total testosterone
- Free testosterone
- Bioavailability testosterone
- Men with coronary artery disease have lower levels of androgens than men with normal coronary angiograms.
Eur Heart J 2000 Jun;21(11):890-4
12. Low testosterone increases the risk of heart disease and more optimal levels decrease the risk of heart disease.
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, July 2003
13. Low testosterone levels increase the risk of prostate cancer and testosterone replacement is expected to reduce risk of prostate cancer.
Dihydrotestosterone and testosterone levels in men screened for prostate cancer: a study of a randomized population.
Br J Urol 1996 Mar;77(3):433-40
- DHT is lower in prostate cancer patients
- DHT is lower in prostate cancer patients
- DHT is lower in more advanced tumors
- PSA and DHT have an inverse relationship (high DHT lower PSA)
14. Testosterone replacement is better than exercise to reduce body fat, gain lean muscle and improve strength and effects of testosterone are improved with exercise (Synergistic effect)
J Endocrinol 2001 Jul;170(1):27-38
15. Testosterone replacement reduces risk of diabetes
- Testosterone replacement decreases insulin resistance
- Low levels of testosterone play a role in the development of type 2 diabetes
- Elevated insulin decreases testosterone levels resulting in a vicious cycle of worsening insulin resistance and reduced testosterone levels
- Testosterone replacement breaks this cycle
- Low testosterone is associated with Syndrome X, hypertension, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Journal of American Epidemiology 1996
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000
Mayo Clin Proc 2000 Jan;75 Suppl:S61-4
Diabetes Care. 2000 Apr;23(4):490-4
Metabolism 1997 May;46(5):526-9
16. Dihydrotestoterone with NSAIDS kills prostate cancer cells
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 2002; 49(3):179-86
17. Using HCG to boost testosterone levels results in significant improvement in prostate enlargement and symptoms
Journal of Urology 2003
18. Testosterone replacement decreases fat and increases lean muscle.
Bhasin et al. journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2003
19. Testosterone replacement speeds healing and result s in shortens hospital stays.
Journal Am Geriatr Soc, 2002
20. Pesticides reduce testosterone production in men
Biology and Reproduction, 2003
back to top